Friday, September 11, 2009

A chat with Elizabeth from Chichi & Luxe

I am proud to announce a new interview for the segment A chat with… This time I’ve had a chat with Elizabeth Raptis from the wonderful blog Chichi & Luxe. Elizabeth is a 25 year old interior designer living in Brisbane, Australia. She has a boyfriend of 5 years who is her best friend with whom she often likes to go to the park with and chill out in the sunshine – in between visits to furniture and antique centres of course!

How long have you been working as an interior designer and how did you start?
I started by renovating properties with my boyfriend and decided to study interior design. I graduated from design college two years ago and went into my own business straight away. It was a very brave decision but one that I don’t regret!

Where do you get your inspiration from for your projects?
A lot of my inspiration comes from fashion. I’m a “NEVER-wear-flats” girl and I think this is reflected in my design style. I like elegant, tailored and polished looks in both my clothes and interiors. But a dash of playfulness is essential too, so that an interior isn’t too serious!

How would you describe your decorating style?
To coin Kelly Wearstler’s term…Modern Glamour. I’m drawn to classic shapes and architecture but love to add my own contemporary edge. There always has to be an element of glamour, I just don’t do casual!


As an interior designer, which three fab tips can you give us when decorating a home?
1. Don’t be afraid to use colour
2. Make your interior as in depth as possible – it’s the finer details that make a room interesting.
3. Obey your interior designer at all times!


Who is/are your favorite (interior) designer(s)?
Kelly Wearstler (see photo), Ralph Lauren, Philip Gorrivan, Nate Berkus…the list goes on!

If you could get the chance of redecorating the home of one famous person, whose house would you pick and why?
Ivanka Trump. She is an amazing young woman with a fabulous sense of style.

What is the absolute favorite, most precious thing you own and why?
My little long haired Chihuahua, Bibi. At the age of 12, I was still sucking my thumb! My dad made a deal with me that if I stopped the habit for a whole year (and onwards) he would get me a dog. He only made the deal with me because he thought there was no way I could win! But overnight I kicked the habit, proved everyone wrong, and won my little fury friend – that was 12 years ago and it has always served as a reminder that if you put your mind to something you can achieve ANYTHING.

What is at the top of your wish list and why?
A huge white period home (with ornate plaster ceilings and original timber floors) that I can redecorate from tip to toe – because I would be in seventh heaven!

What made you start blogging and what do you love most about it?
I wanted a place to share my thoughts on design and to gain support along the way. It’s wonderful to be able to connect with like-minded people, and making friends along the way has been an unexpected but delightful surprise!

Name your top 5 favorite interior design / decor blogs:
Ada & Darcy
Annechovie
Madebygirl
This is Glamorous

Swish and Swanky


- Thank you Elizabeth for having a chat with me! It was great to learn more about you and to have a look into the mind of an interior designer. Keep up the wonderful work on your blog and I'm looking forward to reading more about your work on Chichi & Luxe -

6 comments:

  1. thank you for doing this wonderful interview - it was such fun!!

    have a great weekend Natascha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post !
    I've always loved reading Chichi and Luxe. It's one of my favorite blog.
    Elizabeth is a lovely, lovely person !
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Elizabeth: thank YOU :-) I'm honoured. Hope you had a fab weekend.

    @ Cerelina: True, Elizabeth is so elegant and stylish! Love her blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Elizabeth last week at my product launch. She really is as lovely and elegant as her blog which I read daily. Nice to find out more about this young designer who is obviously going places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the opportunity to learn more about Elizabeth. So enjoyed it! Elizabeth, I am so honored to be one of your favorite blogs - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    I'm fascinated how much help through blogging one can get. I've been a professional Interior Designer in the U. K and Europe for 21 years it's lovely to see so many young people come into an industry I love..One life
    Susanxx

    ReplyDelete