Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A chat with Jen Ramos from MadeByGirl!

I am very proud to present my interview with the super talented, creative and successful Jen Ramos. Jen is the owner of MadeByGirl and the designer of all the prints and cards sold in her shop. Jen is also the founder and editor of the very popular blog MadeByGirl. I love her prints (I actually have one of her prints hanging in my home), I love reading her blog and have much admiration for her as an entrepreneur. Jen lives in Las Vegas with her husband Mat, whom she married last year. Let's get to know Jen better...

How long have you been working as a graphic designer and what inspired you to become a graphic designer
?
For several years actually. My inspiration to be a graphic artist came from my love for creativity, design & color. Creating graphical posters and cards gives me a creative outlet
and a sense of freedom I've never had with any other job.

Where do you get your inspiration from for your work and projects?
My inspiration comes from many different sources. Magazines, design books, fabric patterns, color, other artists, emotions and feelings that I feel, even heartbreak....

How do you like being a business owner and what tips can you give those who want to start a business of their own?
I love owning my own business for many reasons, the main one being freedom. It provides a freedom that I am truly grateful for. Even though I work a lot and am always thinking of the next thing I should do (business-wise) I still love it! Here are 3 tips I'd give someone who wants to start their own business:
A-Stay Focused. In life you have to aim for your goals and go after them, no matter what. If you stop to surf, jump on social networks to chat with friends too long...that is NOT focusing.
B-Don't spread yourself to thin. We shouldn't do too many things at once because at some point, one of those things will fail. If you want to start a business selling jewelry, then concentrate on selling jewelry. Don't go and try to sell 10 other items when you are first starting off. Start slowly and don't spend all your money all at once. Work your way up.
C- Be willing to put in the time. Without putting in time, there will be no rewards. Just remember anything that comes too easy, probably isn't worth having. A business (small or not) takes devotion and lots of effort....and believe me, the effort you put in will pay back. When I first started, I would work hours and hours straight until I couldn't anymore. I made up my mind that I would start my business by launching it with at least 35-40 card designs and that is what I did. Later on, I then added prints to the mix.


If you weren’t a graphic designer what do you think you would do for a job?
I would probably be in Marketing... I studied that in college then switched over to Graphic design.

Where did your love for interior design come from?
It's been there ever since I was a little girl. I mean...I would always want to re-do my mom's livingroom and switch things around. Sometimes I would even suggest where I think she should place certain pieces of furniture...I was a mini-consultant ha!

How would you describe your own decorating style?
My style is pretty versatile, but I love a mix of modern and traditional for my decor.

What fabulous decorating advice/tips can you give us?
If you are thinking of re-decorating a room in your home, draw your space on paper first. This way you can visualize what it would look like in that room before spending any money. Go to Antique shops and see what they have...you can always buy things for much cheaper and throw a coat of paint on it to spruce it up. Consider tackling DIY projects once in awhile in order to stretch your budget.

Who inspires you the most when it comes to interior design and decor?
I love Sixx Design, Palmer Weiss, Nate berkus, Kelly Wearstler & so many more.

What is the absolute favorite, most precious thing you own?
It used to be my French provicial sofa, now it's a painting by aboriginal artist Jeannie Mills Pwerle.
This is an example of a painting by Jeannie Mills Pwerle, not the actual painting owned by Jen.

Wat is at the top of your wish list right now?

A Barcelona Daybed and an empire style chandelier I saw at Lamps Plus.

What do you love most about blogging?
Communicating what inspires me on a daily basis with other people who have similar interests. It's like we are all in a cool decor group and we just relate to eachother. I also LOVE the fact that I can blog about whatever item I chose... that is another sense of freedom.

Which blogs are your absolute favorite to read
?

It changes all the time but right now I find myself going to: Apartment Therapy, Sketch 42, and Isabella and max rooms . Even though I may not have time to coment so much, I try to skim and read what I can.

What are your plans for the future?
My plans for my business are to keep bringing in more interesting artwork and cards as well as possibly collaborating with other artists. I do have some SALES coming soon, so keep a look out on my site.

~ Thank you so much Jen for having a chat with me and for sharing a bit of yourself and your advice with the Mocca & Me readers. Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work ~

All images via MadeByGirl. Image Jeannie Mills Pwerle from here.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Natascha for the interview :))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well aren't I flattered, I think Jen is amazing and pleased she mentioned my blog! And now I'm off to look around yours, thanks for the email! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SO much Jen! I am beyond flattered! Im glad to have found ur blog Mocca... Ill be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great stuff Natascha! Jen is a darling and a great entrepreneur!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful interview. I find her blog very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete